Friday, August 22, 2014

If I had only known.......

There seems to be more and more times that I will stop while out pickin' and think "I've seen this before" or "Why do I not have one of these already?" I have been "Antiquing", as we call it in our family, since before I could hold a bottle! With grandparents that were dealers, it kinda ran in the bloodline! But I loved it from the start! When I was a girl, I remember having a love of Peacock feathers, Pill Box Hats and old jewelry, preferably RHINESTONES!!! Oh how I loved to collect these precious treasures. It could be a Bracelet, Ear-Bobs- as my sweet Grandad calls them, or a fabulous Broach. As I grew older I forgot about the jewelry and moved into items that I could decorate my first apartment in. My husband and I have known each other since I was 14, and started dating when I was 18. One of our favorite things to do was "Antiquing"... I know, CRAZY!! But that's us! I remember one of the items on my "list" was an old Daisy Churn, you know the ones. 
 Anyways, at the time $30-$50 was blowing my budget. I just could not commit to it, so moved on. Oh, If I had only known and had picked one up then as now they are upwards to $400! Same for my new craze... Antique Silver Hotel Food Domes. 
They are the loveliest! Another item that we would see, back in the late 80's early 90's that were just overlooked by most as Tarnished and "Who would want to polish that?". 
UH... ME!!!!! Except I love the tarnished patina. To me, it tells a story of a piece. You can only imagine where all it has journeyed to now be sitting in your hands. So now, I am on a hunt for a dome. And kicking myself for all the times I passed one up that cost near to nothing!
 But that's how it goes. Our lives, our taste, our wants and needs change. But to me, it just makes it even more the fun when you are long searching and there it is... you find that fabulous beauty! xoxo